Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

I smell grills....they're multiplyin'...and I'm losin' control....


It's another fabulous Monday morning -  dreary and coldish with a constant threat of rain. In other words, if I was a duck, (much like the ones that set up residence in my neighbor's front yard across the street), I'd be diggin' it. 
Last I checked, no webbed feet here - but one thing is for sure - I am in desperate need of a pedicure. 
Tomorrow's forecast is more of the same, but 10 degrees cooler. Dragging my ass to class tomorrow evening should be interesting. I don't know why, but I always feel like when the weather is bad, we should be able to stay home. Yes, I'm 38 years old but that doesn't mean I have stopped looking for a reason to skip class.
The good news is, the weekend's forecast is calling for sunny and warm weather, which is a good thing since Josh and I will be at the beach making some oh so important (gag) floral decisions and hopefully meeting with our crazy cake lady (who still has yet to deposit my $100 check, despite her receiving it in January). If possible, Josh and I also want to get our freebie beach portrait done with the dogs, compliments of Josh's dad who won a gift certificate for a session last year and passed it along to us. I'd love to be a little thinner for this photo shoot but you know what, you can't have everything?
Overall, I have been doing quite well on this WW "journey" - down to 213.25 lb today, even with the onslaught of my hellacious period (here for the freaking SECOND time this month, thank you!) so I at least know that even the Slim a Bear Klondikes I have been eating with utter delight on a nightly basis aren't keeping me from weight loss.
That, ladies and gentleman, is what you call encouragement!
Josh has been dubbed the Weight Watchers Nazi - although he's really not following the WW plan as they would recommend. Meaning he eats significantly less points than I do per day (my allotment is 25) and his exercise habits are on par with a contestant on the Biggest Loser right before a weigh in. For instance, yesterday while I whined and complained of cramps and begged and pleaded to not have to go on our morning walk, he simply kissed me on cheek, said "See ya later" and proceeded to walk 9 miles with the dogs, sans Ro Ro. He does it without me....without complaint, without prodding......
9 freaking miles - without an iPod, mind you. Who does that????
The man who has lost over 32 pounds in 5 weeks, that's who. It is quite remarkable actually.
I'm beyond proud of him but I do wish he'd relax a little when it comes to food. I mean, how much vinegar can one person consume?
Unfortunately, I think he is getting zero enjoyment out of this diet. And while I get that the concepts of dieting and fun don't normally go hand in hand, I do think giving yourself a break every now and again and having a 3 point Klondike bar makes this whole process a little more like living real life.......and it keeps a person sane. He has charts and tallies and all of this stuff that monitors his exercise compared to his weight loss and it's really impressive but I also think its making him a bit neurotic. I'm watching closely for signs of Manorexia.....
The thing I have learned about him in the past 2 years is that he is an all or nothing type of guy.....he can't slip even a little because then he feels like it's all over. I just worry that when he starts to eat normally again, he won't be able to control himself and bad habits will creep back in. I truly feel that by doing it my way (and having the occasional treat), I am getting a grip on my eating, understanding portions and not falling victim to feeling the need to put CHEESE on everything (sadly, salt is another story). Also? I've discovered that life truly does go on without cream cheese and bagels and fried calamari (just a few things I am missing...hard - can you tell?).
One of the big challenges Josh and I have had to overcome has been happening regularly on our nightly walks around the town square.  Make no mistake - it's apparently grilling season in town and the smell of searing meat wafting from people's back yards, hitting full blast into our nostrils is enough to get both of us drooling like a pack of Pavlov's dogs. We normally do a 10 lap walk so imagine what two humans plus 3 actual canines all dripping with saliva look like as we walk past the offending griller's house. TEN TIMES. It's really uncool. 
Ok - go ahead and add beef to the list of things which I am missing hard at the moment.
But, one can't argue with success. Even though I had a small gain last week, I plugged on through. There is a sort of calmness about me during this weight loss attempt that I don't recall experiencing before. Perhaps it's due to finally seeing some results. And I don't just mean on the scale. Before I started this, my knees were begging for mercy and threatening to call it quits. Not anymore - now they feel strong and no longer hurt when I walk - whether it be up the stairs or 5 miles around town. 
In 5 weeks, I've lost a tad over 5% of my body weight, and feel like I am finally seeing glimpses of a healthier me. Now that is something to celebrate. :-)
  




No comments:

Post a Comment