Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Points System -You are the Devil!


It's the eve of finishing my second full week on Weight Watchers as well as being the official beginning of my Spring Break from school. Tomorrow is week two weigh in......and I'm nervous.
Will I have a banner week or won't I????
I'm feeling good about having walked at 6:40 this morning for about 50 minutes (it would have been longer but Josh and I had a stupid argument so I walked home early) but as I sit here typing this, something is bothering me. I've had coffee and a cup of yogurt this morning and frankly, I'm a wee bit ravenous. 
Why is it that every time I try to diet, all I can do is think about food? And I don't just think about it - I OBSESS over it. If my thoughts were drifting to plates full of broiled tilapia fish and steamed broccoli I might be Ok, but if I'm being honest, candy bars, cosmos and cherry pie are really what's got me drooling......
This may have all started the other night when I presented this dandy little can of worms conversation starter to Josh:  "So, what food do you miss the most being on this diet?"
His answer was a fast and furious reply of "chocolatecakeandabigglassofmilk" which spewed from his mouth so quickly, I had no doubts that he had been sitting next to me having the same food cravings and fantasies I have been for the last 2 weeks. It's nice to know at least I'm not alone.
Look - dieting blows and there really is no two ways around it. You are NOT going to get skinny eating chocolate cake, that I can assure you. After all, that's pretty much the diet I have been on and off the last 20 odd years and I can safely say that by the looks of my ample ass, it's not working.
The tricky part I'm finding with Weight Watchers is the points tally system. What I once considered the easiest thing about this diet has now become the thing that has completely thrown me for a loop. I just found out I have been, to some extent, doing it all wrong and THAT pisses me off.
Apparently when you create a recipe you have to add all the calories, fat and fiber of each ingredient that you are using in order to calculate the points....so just because you eat a 1 point Boca Burger on a 1 point english muffin, you really have a 3 point sandwich. Say wha---?
I'll be the first person to admit I suck at math but I can add single digits and that crap just doesn't make sense to me. Josh tried to tell me the other night (as I prepared my shrimp pasta dish that went from 6 to 8 points in a flash) that that's how you do it -  but I got all high and Weight Watchers mighty on him by saying (perhaps somewhat condescendingly) I have been on the plan MANY TIMES and doesn't he think I know what the hell I am doing by now???
Uh, apparently not. Sorry, honey. Forgive me???
So, I've now had the rude awakening realizing I've been shoving my face happily with what I THOUGHT were low point meals but am sadly mistaken. This really sucks.
It completely changes my thinking.....
Discovering the recipe builder on WW's online tools was both a blessing and a curse because that's how I figured out the hidden points I wasn't calculating actually need to be factored in. It makes being on this plan all the more challenging.
As Josh fantasizes about missing his chocolate cake, I think I am really missing the alcohol - probably more than I should be. I had a Bud Light after class last night and the beer that I once referred to as 'watered down piss in a can' tasted so heavenly, I realized that dieting like this will really make you lower your standards, as long as it costs you less WW points!
While I really want to say I am enjoying this process, I'm not sure I am comfortable with that phrase just yet. My focus is on my health and of course looking good on my wedding day. I'm sticking to it and know that this process is not going to click overnight....
But in the meantime, I feel good knowing I am at least now correctly informed and can go forward doing the plan the way the Devil, I mean Weight Watchers, intended....

No comments:

Post a Comment