Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Depiction of a contradiction


Well, it's another day here in Blogland....and it's a dreary one at that. This week has not exactly been conducive to doing much physical exercise outside and despite the fact I have a rather impressive and well equipped treadmill up in the spare bedroom, it continues to sit up up there, dormant, taking up space and acting as a constant reminder that I can no longer blame the weather for not working out. F-you treadmill for making me feel like a lazy oaf.
In all fairness the weather isn't the only reason I have been lax about physical activity this week. It's been more of a medley of undesirable factors that have contributed to my lack of movement. First and foremost is that Aunt Edna (code word for "on the rag") is visiting, wreaking her usual havoc on my uterus, not to mention my state of mind. Secondly, I am now a few weeks into my summer class which is the first class I am taking in the Masters of Ed program.  It's a little like a learning a whole new language and it has been sucking up quite a bit of my time -  but I won't complain about that too much since I have to remember that I'm working not only towards a body transformation here, but I'm also working towards a complete career transition as well. At this stage in the game, they are head to head as to which one is proving to be more difficult.
I spent the better part of the back end of last week and all through the weekend putting my nose to the grindstone and busting my butt on a lesson planning project which was handed in, but was not being graded. Last night we received the project back along with comments provided from the professor to help us on our final draft. As I looked around the room to other students paging through their work, I noticed a great deal of red comments peppered throughout their pages. This included the project of one woman in the class who I had initially pegged as the "smarty pants" of EDU-550. The one that I figured would excel in anything she did, even blindfolded with two hands tied behind her back. I figured if she had a boat load of comments on her project, I was sure to find even more on mine. However, with my breath held, I anxiously flipped through the pages of my project, noticing a distinct lack of red marks. The only red comments were on the front page.....I had been given the old "Nice job on this! Very detailed - all components addressed". Really? Me? There were two other small suggestions on the front page but that was it. It appears I actually had done a good job. Seriously - I felt like Wonder Woman!!! I had kicked some serious ass! Let us not forget that as of May 18, I was a complete ignoramus on the subject of lesson planning. To give you some idea, just a few short weeks ago asking me to do a project on lesson planning was not entirely unrelated to asking me to write a blog entry in Chinese....
Lesson Planning? Moo Goo Gai Pan???
The thing is, I beat myself to a bloody pulp over this project and was absolutely convinced I had done a lousy job. The concept of receiving a "nice job" on this project was not a possibility I had ever entertained.
I gotta ask myself - Why the hell not????
I'm reasonably intelligent enough and even though educational planning is a subject I knew virtually nothing about until just recently, I do know that I worked extremely hard and was very diligent about meeting all the criteria for the project.  I should have expected to do well, not fill myself with doubt.
In turn, I'm beginning to see what hard work is really all about and how this is all related to my weight loss efforts. Would my comments from the professor have been the same had I not given my all on that project? More than likely, no. I really put my best efforts forward and focused on the project at hand and in turn, was rewarded for that. 
Looking at it from a fat zapping perspective, am I going to get the weight loss results I want if I don't work hard and stay diligent with my efforts? Again, it's highly unlikely. Weight loss takes hard work and dedication and you don't have to be Jillian Michael's to know the harder you work at it, the more rewards you'll reap....like having a smaller ass for starters.
This is not rocket science, folks. This weight loss thing sure as hell isn't going to happen through osmosis.
However with all of that said, there is a funny anecdote to this theory on losing weight that I experienced this week. I wrote on Tuesday about giving in to the sausage sandwich at the neighborhood deli and how I had committed myself to eating bugs and grass the rest of the day to repent for my unforgivable breakfast sin. I wish I could say that I stuck to the plan and kept it mean and lean the rest of the day but if I am being truthful, as I promised you I would in this blog, the day just snowballed from sausage to peanut butter to pizza....
In other words, Oy vey!
Attention wagon! Girl overboard!
Perhaps if I were to stretch it, peanut butter could be considered some creamy slightly sugar infused distant relative of an actual nut, which has some health benefits and is therefore not the WORST thing I could have eaten. However, it, along with pizza (did I mention it was white with black olives no less!!) does not, by any stretch of the imagination, fall under the category of grass or bug on the food pyramid. Unless the USDA has changed their standards and I wasn't notified.
Quite possible.....
The funny thing is, that although I said I wouldn't go near a scale again until Friday, I found myself naked in the bathroom this morning dying to know what damage I had done on Tuesday. I had to know.....was I back up to my starting weight? Did I blow this entire month of weight loss in one day's worth of feeding frenzy???? I really really really wanted to know...
What god awful news, pray tell, was Old Sonofabotch going to hand me?
And then I saw it.....
223.75 lbs????
Could that be right?
Quick calculation for the math challenged.....I lost a little more than a pound and a half since last Friday even with consuming all of that crap! So my non-hard work?? Still paid off this week. I really don't get it. Maybe it's simply my turn to have a banner of a week, both scholastically and physically. If that's the case, thanks, God. I owe you one.
Tomorrow is my "official" Weigh Day as you know so the record is sort of off the books until then. Who knows if Sausage and Friends were just waiting to make an appearance on my hips until tomorrow. If that's the case, I can't say I don't deserve it....
But until I see what tomorrow holds I am reveling in the successes of the week (thus far) and still believe firmly in the theory that hard work does pay off. I am keeping my focus today and keeping busy so that my mind isn't on eating, it's on occupying myself with other things I need to do and staying far out of reach from the fridge.....Lord knows I have enough dog hair here to focus on. And vacuuming burns calories right? 
Until tomorrow....because as of right now, I'm off to go spend a little quality time with my Dyson.....






No comments:

Post a Comment