Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

5 Year Old Diet Guru


















Another dreary Friday morning is here....with more depressing tales from the scale. I'm stuck at 224 lbs and counting. But really, am I all that surprised? Honestly? 
No - not in the least.
I weighed in this morning not because I wanted to, but because I knew I had to. As I stated at the beginning of this blog, I am committed to posting regular weigh ins and broadcast the truth regarding my results, no matter how depressing the news may be.
This week is no different. I'm here to share the not so good news.
This week wasn't what I would call a bad week per se - meaning I didn't consciously feel like I was sabotaging my own diet (let's face it - there are some weeks that you just KNOW you aren't doin' a body good). But on the flip side of the coin, I know I certainly didn't do anything to help it along either. Having gone through weeks like this in the past, I certainly didn't anticipate there would be any sort of loss.  After all, why should I expect the numbers on the scale to move if I myself haven't?
As usual, old Sonofabitch did not disappoint.
224......224....224 - no matter how many times I stepped on and shifted the scale's position on the floor. 
Two hundred and fucking twenty-four.
Sooooo, when faced with a "weighty" situation such as this, there are two things I could do. #1 - Wallow in my pudge induced misery over the fact that this fat is going nowhere fast and start shoving my face with peanut butter sandwiches to make matters worse. Or, #2 - Shake myself off and say, OK - you need to pull yourself together, refocus, put your sights back on your goal and get your sorry ass in gear.  I have chosen the second option (and no, it's not because we are out of peanut butter, which would make choosing option #1 all that more difficult).
Making the decision to not dwell on this slump has surprisingly made me all that more motivated. I feel like I am ready to get back in the game. In my last post I unabashedly asked for one swift kick in the ass to get me back on track, and Val and Sheryl willingly stepped up to the plate to do just that - so thanks guys. (Read comment posts if you don't know what the hell I am talking about).
While I may repeatedly fall off this unreliable wagon of weight loss, at least I know my friends will be there to help dust me off and push me back on. Even if I go kicking and screaming and grunting. Which, I'm just warning you guys, is probably going to happen more often than not. Deal with it.
Other than looking to my friends for inspiration, I have discovered it in another unlikely place. My 5 year old niece.
I never realized it but I think she may hold the golden ticket to the secret of weight loss. 
She simply knows when to say when.
She was here visiting me and Josh for a few days and I watched  (in pure amazement) as she happily declared she was "full" when she was only half done with her meal....time and time again. I admired her ability to casually admit she couldn't finish her ice cream cone (say wha-?), eat all of her meatballs (all 2 of them!) or consume the other half of her ham, tomato & mayo   sandwich (no cheese - even though I offered!!!).
If only I could do that! Say no, push away, throw away, or save for later half of my meals! Holy Moses, I'd be skinny in no time!
And, hey,  it's not like the kid doesn't eat her share of junk food.  As a matter of fact, we made a pit stop at McDonald's (her request ok, so back off) before heading to the movies on Wednesday so she could have a "normal" lunch instead of consuming a bag full of buttery popcorn and jujubees at the movies, and even there, under the Golden Arches, she couldn't even finish her cheeseburger and SMALL fries or vanilla milkshake.
Unreal!
I had my own small victory at Mickey D's, mind you. Although in my warped mind, there is nothing more delicious than a cold thick shake (hey - I'm Lovin' It), and wanted nothing more than to suck down the remaining abandoned vanilla badness my niece left behind, I have been suspecting I have a mild lactose sensitivity thing going on as of late. Immediately, I recalled that the last time I indulged in a McDonald's dairy demon I nearly crapped my pants so while I wanted oh so desperately to finish that milky milky shake shake, I thought better of it, in turn saving myself about 250 calories, 7 grams of fat and an potentially embarrassing rectal mudslide. Not to mention the excruciating gas pains I would have had to endure during the movie.
Yey me. And yey for the other people in the theater who were graciously spared the SBD's!!!!
Anyway, I digress. The point is, in order to get back on track with dropping the pounds, I could take a tip or two from the way my niece eats (um, very little) and her ability to say no to second helpings. Also, not being a member (or in my case, President) of the Clean Plate Club could have profound effects on losing weight. I just need to channel her ability and will to walk away from the food and not look back. 
It's time to restart.....again. And in the words of a very wise 5 year old, begin saying "I'm full" while my plate still partially is too. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment