Pages

Monday, July 13, 2009

Does This Bike Make My Ass Look Fat?














Is there anything more depressing than returning home from a weeks worth of sun, sand and surf? Maybe I am being slightly dramatic here, as I do love my home and really missed my king-sized bed this past week (2 people plus 3 dogs on a queen sized bed = contortionist style sleeping positions that do NOT do wonders for your back or neck) - but we had such a good week at the beach that it's difficult to get up and know that the ocean isn't just a 3 minute bike ride away and the most important task of the day isn't figuring out how to get a super dark tan without running the risk of peeling. Or getting skin cancer for that matter.
Josh and I arrived home on Saturday afternoon and while he was out at a kayak lesson yesterday I was supposed to be cleaning the house and getting the place ready for my niece to come visit next week. Let's just say, that didn't exactly happen.
How can I think about cleaning when I have a wedding to plan????????
That's right - we finally decided on a place at Rehoboth Beach! I am beyond excited and if I can get the contract signed, sealed and delivered this week, it looks like Josh and I will officially be declared Mr. & Mrs. on Oct 9, 2010.
Crazy! It will have taken me only took me 38 years to get to this moment.
While all of this wedding planning is fun and exciting it forces me to acknowledge the one reason I started this blog in the first place. I need to lose a shit load of weight before I get married. Mega poundage. We are not talking about a simple task here......this is serious shit.
As predicted, Josh and I were very active over our vacation but apparently the activities we engaged in didn't quite cancel out the Mexican food, pizza and ice cream in which we indulged. It's amusing to think how athletic, agile and skinny I felt when I was in the bay kayaking or taking a morning walk, or swimming in the pool or ocean or even biking into town and back. I truly felt lighter and somehow imagined that with all of this exercise I was melting with each stroke, paddle or pedal rotation. However, the lesson learned here is even though you might literally feel like you are biking your ass off, as you can see clearly from the above posted picture, it is most definitely not the case. 
"Baby Got Back" just became my theme song, whether I like it or not. 
There is NOTHING quite like a heinous photograph that will put your weight loss challenge into crystal clear prospective. This particularly stunning photo (and by stunning, I mean I am stunned to learn my ass looks like two very large hamburger buns have been smuggled under my shorts) is screaming, "Girl, you've got some major work to do!"
The white dress looms larger than ever now and it's no longer a fantasy - it's a reality -  and if I don't want to get rolled back into the ocean during my beach ceremony by some sea life conservatory group, I better get serious about dropping a few sizes (and by a few I mean at least 10). 
So today is it - the end of my vacation and therefore pretty much the end of indulging in all of the crap I know I shouldn't but have been anyway. The Queen of Excuses is taping that rear view bike picture on the fridge next to a wedding dress picture as a reminder of what I need to accomplish in the next 15 months. 
The thing is - it can be done - there is plenty of time - if I stay focused and keep my eye on the goal. 
There is a motivating quote I used to have hanging on the fridge at my old apartment that I referred to when I was doing Weight Watchers or trying one of the other various weight loss attempts of my past. It always stuck with me, even though I often blatantly ignored it.....obviously.
It was: Don't give up what you want the most for what you want in the moment.
I think it's genius and right up there with, if not better than WW's own: Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Words to live by.......I just need to remember them.
So as I sit here drinking my morning coffee, I am also mentally composing my grocery list in my head. Lettuce, veggies, low fat salad dressing, more veggies, chicken, lean turkey, more veggies......and NO ice cream.
I can do this. I do not have to walk down the aisle in a white potato sack. Speaking of which - no white potatoes!
Although I started this blog in May and am two months into trying to drop this albatross around my thighs, stomach, chin  and every other body part imaginable, I think it's now safe to say that with an actual wedding date in sight this is where the journey really begins. Things are about to get interesting.....








No comments:

Post a Comment