Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Taking it one meal at a time...

Ah - sunshine!
What a wonderful sight after a few days of rain and gloom. I've mentioned before that nice weather is a total motivating factor for me to exercise, so this morning I put my money where my mouth is and headed out at 7 AM for a 3-mile walk with the hubs and the dogs. I then came home and did 4 1/2 miles on the recumbent bike. If I can find my yoga mat (which is buried up in the attic somewhere), I may try my hand at some moves I recently downloaded from Prevention. I feel unstoppable today!
I'm also on day 2 of my breakfast smoothie experiment. I really struggle with keeping my calories in check for breakfast. I usually wake up starving and have the mindset that only a carb-laden breakfast is going to quell that hunger. My first inclination is to reach for cereal (I truly think I am a crunch junkie). This might not be so bad if I chose a relatively low-calorie cereal. Which I don't. Or measured it for that matter. Again - something I don't do even though I know I should. However, since discovering the delightful deliciousness that is Raisin Bran Extra, it has become my go-to morning bowl of happiness (Is it sad that I can find joy in a bowl of bran flakes??). However, this is kind of a problem because as it turns out, that bowl of happiness? It's not what you'd call very calorie-friendly. And the "Extra" I have grown to love so much? Well, let's just say it probably stands for Extra Calories. Those cranberries and yogurt covered bits of granola aren't made of air, ya know.
The trouble is, that cereal keeps me full until lunch (and yes, I am willing to entertain the idea that this may be primarily because I have been eating the equivalent of 2 bowls). So, I am now on the quest to try different things  - with LESS calories of course - and figure out what keeps me satisfied the longest. I've developed a fondness for Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt with a tsp of honey and a 1/4 cup of Special K granola. It definitely keeps the calories under 300, which I think is good - but can I go even lower without feeling deprived? 
I just received a care package from one of my BFF's, who is a nurse with HMR (Health Management Resources). It was filled with samples of their meal replacement shakes, so I opted to give them a shot as a breakfast alternative. The shake alone is 170 calories (vanilla) or 120 (chocolate). You add water so there is no added calories there, but the thought of drinking this powdery stuff with only water as an accompaniment turns me off. I opted for adding a cup of frozen fruit which depending on what fruit I choose, is anywhere from 70 - 90 extra calories. All told, I'm in the 240 - 260 range which is great. I still have about 1,000 to play with throughout the day (although I know this calorie bank can be depleted quickly depending on my food choices for the rest of the day - Hello Cadbury Creme Egg - I'm talking to you).
Yesterday I had a vanilla shake with a cup of mixed berries and it was good....Not Raisin Bran Extra good - but passable for a breakfast option. Once I could get past the gagillion seeds that ended up sticking in my teeth, it was satisfying and the best part of all was that it took me FOREVER to finish it because it made a huge amount. Plus the fiber did keep me feeling full - but did not turn my body in to a repulsive methane-making machine. Win/Win!
Today I tried the chocolate and added a cup of frozen cherries (because what sounds better than a chocolate cherry shake for breakfast? Uh, just about anything, actually). But I digress...
This shake was, uh - OK. Meaning not my favorite and something I won't be having on a regular rotation. But I am sucking it down because, well, it's breakfast and I am committed to sticking with this - even if it tastes a little like ass. This is a learning process and not everything I do or try is guaranteed to be a success, right? The plus side (sort of) is that this shake is also taking me a long time to consume - although today it may be more taste-related than anything. But, the point is, the longer it takes me to finish - the fuller I will feel for a greater length of time, and that is the ultimate goal, is it not?
So maybe, just maybe I have found my breakfast solution. Now I just need to tackle lunch and dinner issues. 
Baby steps.....

The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.  ~Author Unknown 


No comments:

Post a Comment